ABOUT CORONA VIRUS IN JAPAN
Key points worth noting (as of June 25):
- Since Golden Week (early May), new infections in Tokyo have been in low two digit numbers. There is still fluctuation in the numbers high ever, as night clubs and medical facilities have regularly had clusters which raise the numbers.
- The state of emergency was lifted at the end of May, and since the beginning of June many companies have returned to partial office work, even though officials have requested companies to continue so called teleworking for the time being.
- Most retail stores and restaurants have reopened and are operating normally, but some might be operating also with shortened business hours.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs has a special page regarding traveling and coronavirus
- Finnair passenger flights between Finland and Japan have been on a hiatus since March 25 from Helsinki and since March 26 from Narita. Currently, the next planned Japan flights are scheduled for beginning of July to Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya. Japan has still currently travel restrictions in place and entering Japan might be rejected even if you possess a long-term visa.
- Most conferences, trade fairs and bigger events since early March both in Tokyo and other parts of the country have been cancelled for the Spring, also for the most part of the Summer. Many companies are still hesitant to schedule anything for Summer months as several limitation seem to continue.
Updates on Covid19 Situation on Tokyo Metropolitan Government page:
Jetro Covid Business Support:
- in English: https://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/covid-19.html
- in Japanese: https://www.jetro.go.jp/world/covid-19/
COVID-19 situation report in Japan by Toyo Keizai:
Overall Information on COVID-19 by World Health Organization (WHO):
Policies and Situation in Finland, by Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL):
- in English: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates
Hotline service for foreigners in Japan for virus inquiries:
- The phone number for the hotline is 03-6233-9266.
- in English: https://www.amdamedicalcenter.com/activities